Ronaldo hints acting career is next after football

The Portuguese wants to keep playing for as long as he can, but likes the idea of moving into the movie business after hanging up his boots

Juventus striker Cristiano Ronaldo has opened up on his retirement plans, expressing a desire to challenge himself by starting a new career in acting.

Ronaldo is widely revered as one of the finest footballers in history, having earned five Ballon d’Or awards for his individual brilliance during spells at Manchester United and Real Madrid.

The 34-year-old has won a whole host of major trophies, including five European Cups and six league titles, while also landing a European Championships winners’ medal with Portugal.

Ronaldo holds the all-time scoring record for his country and for Madrid, and continues to set new standards of excellence even as he approaches the latter stages of his career.

Also read: Pogba launches own anti-racism contest

“The former United superstar is now on the books at Juventus, and is currently enjoying another prolific season with 10 goals to his name from 14 Serie A outings, Goal reports.

However, Ronaldo’s playing days will draw to a close at some point in the near future, which he acknowledged at a Dubai Sports conference on Saturday.

The Juve talisman says he will walk away from the game “the moment my body is no longer responding in the right way”, with one eye on a possible foray into the film industry.

Also read: Fire kills two girls, father who tried to save them

“Several years ago, the age of playing football was until 30-32, but now, you find those who are 40 years old playing on the field,” Ronaldo began.

“The moment my body is no longer responding in the right way on the field, then it would be the time to leave. My success in my field is the result of hard work, and a way of living. I work continuously to improve my mental and physical abilities. I aspire to continue my studies after retiring from football.

“I hope I live more than 50 years to learn new things and face different challenges and try to find solutions for them. One of the things that I seek to challenge myself in, for example, is acting in a movie.

I always recommend learning all that is new. This is what I always strive for. I always seek to educate myself, because my studies tend to answer many of the questions on my mind.

“We have to learn the best of others, and this is an important part in helping me achieve what I have reached now.” [Punch]

The Truth

Fire kills two girls, father who tried to save them

A father and two of his daughters have been killed by a massive apartment block fire in California, after the man went back inside the building to try and save his children.

The man’s eight-year-old son was also severely injured in the incident that took place in Hemet, 90 miles east of Los Angeles.

Authorities said the fire broke out in the family’s second-floor home in the early hours of Friday and that the 41-year old man was able to get his wife, their infant and an 11-year-old child to safety.

At that point, the father reentered the building to try and save his other children.

The girls who died were aged 12 and four, according to the authorities, who have not yet identified the family involved.

Nate Miller of the Hemet police department, said the mother had told officers the family had been asleep when flames broke out.

“Our hearts go out to the family,” said Mr Miller.

“It’s my understanding that the 41-year-old male went back inside to rescue other family members. He wasn’t seen alive after that.”

He added: “It’s a terrible situation. As a father myself, I think a lot of us would think about going back in.”

Reports said around 40 people were forced to evacuate the building.

The Red Cross was caring for 15 people displaced by the fire, said agency spokesperson Emily Cox.

Officials said the bodies of the victims were found in the bedrooms.

Also read: Pogba launches own anti-racism protest

“The fire was rapidly spreading, so [the firefighters] were confronted with immediate rescue needs, as well as keeping the fire contained to the building of origin,” said Hemet fire chief Scott Brown, Independent UK quoted CBS News.


“These buildings are old, they don’t have fire stops, fire spreads very quickly.”

An investigation into the incident is under way, though officials said there was no immediate evidence to suggest a crime was involved.

“The bottom line for us is that we’ve lost three people,” said Mr Brown. “It’s a terrible tragedy.” [Punch]

The Truth

Chika Ike: Tumultuous journey of a screen diva

Chika Ike is the right kind of Nollywood actress who has come of age to take the bull by the horn. She might not be one of the best role interpreters around, but she has definitely find her own pace in the Nigerian movie industry.

Since her resolve to remain single after her first marriage of seven years crashed in 2013, the actress has carried herself straight and with confidence.

She has also tried to be the best she could in her chosen profession. From all indications, the fair-complexioned actress is not far from being the genius she’s craving for. It’s safe to say she’s going where no other Nollywood actress has gone before now.

She’s known as a ‘hottie’ not only in the movie industry but in fashion industry too. Though the price of stardom is very steep, Chika Ike has paid it overtime. Yet she’s still standing and measuring up with her male counterparts in all ramifications.

Her believe in following her dreams and having ‘a can-do-it spirit’ remains the secret of her success in her acting career. In less than two decades of her sojourn in the movie industry, Chika has distinguished herself as an actress, producer, author and entrepreneur.

Also read: ‘Friends’ theme song writer dies aged 72

She has also evolved into a fashion icon and like she always calls herself, a boss chick. In fact, the best part about Chika Ike is she’s an ambitious woman who’d like to extend her career and experience multi-dimensional life as she looks forward to becoming her own boss.

Her gaining admission into the Executive MBA Programme in Harvard University in 2017, after five years of trying speaks volumes of her restlessness and insatiable desire to acquire new knowledge.

Breaking the good news on her Instagram page then, Chike wrote, “I finally got accepted into Harvard business school for my masters. After trying for 5 years and getting rejected..Yes ! The prestigious Ivy League University… Yippee ??????….I’m super excited….The good part is it’s an executive study so I can work ( as an actress, TV host and CEO ) ?? and school… “I started business at age 17 and I’ve been doing this solely on self knowledge and instincts.

I think it’s time to hone my business skills from the mother of all business schools so I can have a sustainable company . …. God is awesome, he has done so much for me , looking at all my achievements so far.

Before the road to Harvard, Chika enrolled in the University of Lagos,UNILAG, in 2004 for a two-year diploma programme in Human Kinetics and Health Education. She completed the programme in 2006, earning a certificate.

She later went for her degree in Human Kinetics and Health Education at the same school. In 2014, she graduated from the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles, California, where she studied Film Making.

She founded her production company, Chika Ike Production, in 2014, and produced her first movie “Miss Teacher” and her reality TV game show “African Diva” Reality TV Show of which she was the executive producer, host and a member of the judging panel.

The first season aired on DStv and the second season aired on AIT. In 2015, she collaborated with Rok Studios and J-World entertainment to produce movies like ‘Happy Ending” and “Stuck on You” directed by Director J. Chika hit the limelight in 2005, after starring in the movie, “Bless the Child”, and has since played major roles in other movies such as Paradise, Mirror of Beauty, To Love a Stranger, Girls Got Reloaded, Happy Ending, Yes We Will, Anointed Queen and The Prince and the Princess.

In one of her interviews, the actress cited inexperience, matrimonial infidelity and domestic violence among others as part of the reasons her marriage crashed irretrievably in 2013.

It was, however, rumoured then that Chika might not be willing to give marriage a second chance despite finding love again immediately after she broke up with ex-husband. T

he actress moved on with her life, resolving to focus on her career and business. A decision that saw her breaking new grounds and living her dream.

“I have failed, made mistakes, trusted, and had my lows and highs. But today, I stand firm, stronger than ever and living my best life,” she reminisced. For the dazzling and glaring actress, success is achieved by those who prepare for it.

It’s not surprising, however, that she’s reaping what she sowed in the time of dryness. She worked for everything she’s enjoying today. Months back, she launched her cosmetic line known as Chika Cosmetics in Lagos.

Recounting her tumultuous journey to success, the Harvard Business School trained entrepreneur said: “It has been a journey of personal development and to do what my heart craves for.

In the entertainment industry, you can’t afford to look tacky; my brand has evolved from being a Nollywood actress, owning a fashion brand to being an author and now a cosmetic brand.

I hope to keep evolving and be a good role model to the younger ones. I hope people put up a good mindset to what they are doing, learn from my story and pursue their dreams tenaciously.”

Aside her beauty business, Chika is also a profound writer. Her maiden book, Boss Up, which was endorsed by the Harvard Business School details how she overcame her personal life obstacles, experiences and lessons learnt.

According to Chika, “It took me over seven years of writing to finally publish Boss up! Seven years of documenting my thoughts, emotions, truth and events that taught me some life lessons and brought me to this point,” Recently, the actress returned to the trenches, producing her new movie, Small Chops, which she said is very dear to her heart. “It took me a year to do the post production.

The film is about a character called Nikita; I was a dancer in that film. Some men believe that girls are small chops, but not all girls are small chops; we have dignity and pride.

Some people stereotype people, so, this movie kicks against stereotyping.” Just last week, Chika released the trailer for the new movie on YouTube, ahead of its January 2020 cinema release

Also read: Tips to avoid weight gain during this holiday

. The two-minute-long trailer had scenes showing popular Nollywood stars, Nkem Owoh, Eucharia Anunobi, Nse Ikpe Etim, Toyin Abraham, Rachael Okonkwo, Lolo 1 and Hafeez Oyetoro.

While she’s beating her own drum, Chika can be described as a phenomenal actress having all of the attributes of a young hot lady. She knows when to be in the spotlight. On a number of occasions, she has set tongues wagging on social media to her advantage.

Not too long ago, the curvy actress set Instagram agog, after she put her sexy body on display, wearing a bikini and a robe on top of it. Sharing the pictures, she wrote: “Never dim your light for anyone.

If it’s blinding they should wear shades! shinebright.” The pictures were alluring enough to increase her fan base. At other time, she got her fans debating whether she went under the knife or not on social media.

While some were admiring the actress and her seemingly hot body, others were concerned with the authenticity of her body, especially her ‘booty.” In any case, Chika remains an adorable actress who never failed to impress her fans and critics with her flawless beauty.

But beyond her beauty and brain, the actress is bedevilled with such weaknesses that can better be imagined than described.

Chika has had a flourishing career, and it can only get better if she continues to humble herself and remain focused. [Vanguard]

The Truth

Buhari condemns ISWAP execution of 11 Christians

The Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the execution of Christians by Islamic State of West Africa Province, (ISWAP) on Christmas Day.

President Buhari said he is “profoundly saddened and shocked” by the action of the “psychopaths” and that “no true Muslim would be shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ while killing innocent people”.

Buhari also reassured Nigerians that “the collective security of all Nigerians” is his “major preoccupation” and “will continue to intensify efforts towards strengthening international cooperation and collaboration to break the backbone of these evil doers.”

“I am profoundly saddened and shocked by the death of innocent hostages in the hands of remorseless, godless, callous gangs of mass murderers that have given Islam a bad name through their atrocities,” Buhari said.


“We should under no circumstances let the terrorists divide us by turning Christians against Muslims, because these barbaric killers do not represent Islam and millions of other law-abiding Muslims around the world.

“As a President, the collective security of all Nigerians is my major preoccupation and the death of an innocent Christian or Muslim distresses me.

“No true Muslim would be shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ while killing innocent people, an evil frequently condemned by the Holy Qur’an.

“These agents of darkness are enemies of our common humanity and they don’t spare any victim, whether they are Muslims or Christians, and therefore, we shouldn’t let them divide us and turn us against one another.


“The goal of these psychopaths is to cause confusion and spread distrust between Muslims and Christians, despite the fact that they aren’t representing the interest of Muslims or Islam.

“While I condemn this evil, I wish to reassure Nigerians that this administration will not lower its guard in the war against terrorism.

“We will continue to intensify our efforts towards strengthening international cooperation and collaboration to break the backbone of these evil doers.”


The Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari beckoned on all Nigerians to stand united against terrorism and to avoid unhelpful conspiracy theories that serve the interest of Boko Haram terrorists and ISWAP.

The Nigerian Army has maintained sealed lips on the incident even though Vanguard correspondent tried to reach them.

The acting Director of Defence Information, Brig. Onyema Nwachukwu, while responding to Vanguard’s inquiry on the veracity or otherwise of the report, referred the matter to the Nigerian Army, saying it was the army’s place to react.


But several calls made to the known mobile phone line of the acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, were not answered.

A follow-up text message sent to the number was yet to be responded. (Vanguard)
The Truth

Pogba launches own anti-racism protest

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has decided to make a personal protest against racism following the ongoing “ignorance” demonstrated at football stadiums throughout Europe.

The 26-year-old France star came off the bench during United’s a 4-1 win win away to Newcastle on Thursday, when he wore black and white wristbands during the warm-up.

‘No to racism’ and ‘We are one’ read the wristbands that Pogba asked his team-mates to join him in wearing before the match, with the World Cup winner then presenting his to a young fan in the crowd.

Pogba later posted an image of that moment on Instagram with a Martin Luther King quote – “Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that” – and the hashtag #NoToRacismWeAllOne.

“It was my idea to do that,” Pogba said of the wristbands, in an interview with Britain’s Press Association news agency.

“I mean, I’ve been thinking about doing this but I don’t want to go through the UEFA or the FIFA. I (have) done it myself.

“I think we have the chance to have this power to show things in football, on TV.

“People see it so I think that will make people understand some things.

“I think it’s ignorance. Ignorance and stuff like that, and just to show people that you are all one. We are all one.”

Pogba was subjected to racism on social media at the start of the season and he also mentioned Antonio Rudiger after the Chelsea defender was subjected to alleged racist abuse at Tottenham last weekend.

“I mean, a lot of players in a lot of leagues — not only in Premier League, in Italy, Spain, everywhere — and we keep hearing this (racism),” said Pogba.

“We are just football players, we want to enjoy that. The fans needs to enjoy coming and seeing some nice football and that’s it.” (Punch)

The Truth

Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started