Liverpool midfielder Herbie Kane has joined Hull City on loan until the end of the season.
The 21-year-old has made two senior appearances for Liverpool in the Carabao Cup during the first half of the season, his debut coming as a substitute in the 2-0 win at MK Dons in September.
He was a starter in the 5-0 defeat to Aston Villa in the quarter-final when Liverpool named a very young side due to the fact the first team were in Qatar for the Club World Cup, Skysport reports.
Kane was named in the League One Team of the Season last campaign after 49 games and seven goals in a loan spell with Doncaster Rovers under Grant McCann.
McCann is now in charge at Hull and will be hoping Kane can help them push for promotion back to the Premier League.( Punch)
China and Russia on Friday adviced all sides to cease further escalation after an Iranian military general was killed by the United States.
Qassem Soleimani, a major-general and head of dreaded Quds Force under Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, was killed near Baghdad International Airport in Iraq on January 2. Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the leader of Kata’ib Hezbollah, also called Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF) in Iraq, was also killed in the strike.
The U.S. military headquarters confirmed President Donald Trump ordered the killing in apparent retaliation over a pro-Iran mob attack at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad last week.
Mr Soleimani was seen as the brain behind Iran’s covert operations across the Middle-East.
“China has always opposed the use of force in international relations,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said on Friday according to Agence France-Press.
“We urge the relevant sides, especially the United States, to remain calm and exercise restraint to avoid further escalating tensions.”
Italian RIA news agency said Russian foreign ministry warned that Mr Soleimani’s death could force the situation to spiral out of control, but also urged restraint amongst all parties.
Both Russia and China are members of the United Nations Security Council. Oil markets opened higher on Friday following the development.
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei vowed to take “severe revenge” over the U.S. action, mourning Mr Soleimani as a martyr who was barbarically assassinated by Americans.
In the U.S., Mr Trump’s action has sharply divided the American legislature, with Democrats slapping the president for his unilateral decision while Republicans hailed him for doing what was necessary to protect American lives and interests.
American leaders’ highest priority is to protect American lives and interests,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement. “But we cannot put the lives of American service members, diplomats and others further at risk by engaging in provocative and disproportionate actions. Tonight’s airstrike risks provoking further dangerous escalation of violence.”
Chris Murphy, a Democrat senator, said on Twitter that Mr Trump’s action was too grievous to be carried out without legislative approval.( Premium Times)
A home-grown electric ship on Friday conducted a trial operation in central China on the Yangtze River, China’s longest waterway.
Junlyu is the first electric ship weighing above 1,000 tonnes to sail the Yangtze. It took two years to build the vessel by altering an oil-powered ship. With powerful lithium batteries, the 53-metre-long ship can carry 300 people.
It is also the country’s first electric ship with a length of more than 50 metres. The trial run took place in a port in Wuhan City, capital of Hubei Province.
Beans, legumes, pulses – A plant-based diet underpins the health of those who live longest according to experts. Beans, legumes and pulses (such as lentils and chickpeas), compared with any other food, are the most important dietary predictor of longevity. They probably offer the best bang for your nutritional buck than any other food out there.
Who won the 2020 battle of the diets?
For the third year in a row, the well-researched Mediterranean diet KO’d the competition to win gold in US News and World Report’s 2020 ranking of best diets. The report, released Thursday, is now in its 10th, “The hallmarks of a ‘best’ diet include balance, maintainability, palatability, family-friendliness, sustainability, along with healthfulness.
The Mediterranean diet gets checkmarks in all of those boxes,” said Yale University Prevention Research Center founding director Dr. David Katz, who was one of 25 judges on the U.S. News and World Report panel.
“It’s no surprise that the Mediterranean diet remains the No. 1 best diet overall,” said nutritionist Lisa Drayer, a CNN contributor. “It’s easy to follow and offers a healthy eating lifestyle.
“The Mediterranean diet, which emphasizes simple, plant-based cooking, also captured first place in best diet for healthy eating,easiest diet to follow, best plant-based diet and best diet for diabetes.
Meals from the sunny Mediterranean have been linked to stronger bones, a healthier heart, a lower risk of dementia and breast cancer, and longer life, along with a reduced risk for diabetes and high blood pressure.
The diet focuses on eating less red meat, sugar and saturated fat and more Omega-3-rich fish and olive oil. Red wine can be enjoyed in moderation and socializing with friends and family during meals is part of the prescription.
The Mediterranean diet is easy to find in the grocery store, contains nutrients that are known to enhance longevity and has other health benefits that are backed by peer-reviewed, scientific studies.
Broccoli makes the list because it’s one of nature’s most nutrient-dense foods, with only 30 calories per cup. That means you get a ton of hunger-curbing fiber and polyphenols — antioxidants that detoxify cell-damaging chemicals in your body — with each serving.
Top honors
Following closely behind the Mediterranean diet were the respected DASH, Flexitarian, WW (the rebranded name popularly known as Weight Watchers) and MIND diets. Their high rankings are a trend in the report’s results each year.
“We’re interested in diets that have proven staying value — not fad diets that are here today, gone tomorrow,” said Angela Haupt, managing editor of health at U.S. News & World Report.
“The diets that perform well are safe, sensible and backed by sound science. That’s going to be consistent from year to year.” The DASH diet is often recommended to lower blood pressure.
Its premise is simple: Eat more veggies, fruits and low-fat dairy foods while cutting way back on any food high in saturated fat, and limit your intake of salt. Studies have shown following this diet can reduce blood pressure in a matter of weeks.
The flexitarian diet tied with the DASH diet for second place because of its emphasis on whole grains, fruits, veggies and plant-based proteins.
It’s basically a vegetarian diet that allows the occasional piece of meat or fish, thus making it “flexible.”The MIND diet is a combination of the Mediterranean and DASH diets that some may find a bit easier to follow, as it requires less fish and fruit. Both MIND, which stands for “Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay,” and the Mediterranean diet have been shown to lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease in studies.
WW came in fourth on the best diet list but took first place in the report’s ranking of best weight loss and commercial weight loss programs.
Not only is the diet healthy, the panel said, but it wins top points for stressing the importance of support for dieters.
Despite winning the respect of nutritionists, WW has been losing market share this year; the company’s CEO told analysts the loss was due to the growing popularity of the keto diet, which makes carbs taboo.Speaking of the keto craze …
Down for the count
Sure to upset its legions of fans, the trendy keto diet came in next to last in the ranking of 35 diets, just ahead of the obscure Dukan diet.
‘Best diets’ ranking puts keto last, DASH firstBoth diets aim for “ketosis,” a metabolic state that burns the body’s stores of fat instead of carbohydrates, the body’s natural source of energy.
To do that, the diets restrict carb intake to levels nutritionists feel are highly unhealthy as well as completely unsustainable.In the keto diet, Drayer said, “carbs are limited to about 20 grams per day,” the equivalent of one small banana or apple.
Due to the drastic cut in carbs, the diet can cause “headaches, nausea, dizziness and fatigue, particularly in the beginning,” she said, adding that “long-term studies on its effectiveness are lacking.
“In place of carbs, the keto diet emphasizes high levels of protein, fats and dairy, typically full of saturated fat that can contribute to cardiovascular and other chronic diseases.
“I am not a fan of the keto diet, though it may be helpful as a ‘jump start’ to weight loss and can help you quickly rid your diet of processed carbs and sugars,” Drayer said.Which may be why the keto diet tied for third place in the race for best “fast” weight loss diet.
Fast’ weight loss?
First place in the get-rid-of-fat-quick category went to HMR, the Health Management Resources program.
It involves purchasing meal replacements from HMR, such as shakes, nutrition bars and multigrain cereals, and adding vegetables and fruits to round out the meals. Second place went to Optavia, which used to be called Medifast.
It, too, wants you to buy and eat many of the company’s pre-packaged products, supplemented by some foods at home.Both diets could be difficult to follow, Haupt said, “because prepackaged meals tend to get old fast.”
The highly ranked WW tied for third, along with Jenny Craig, which ranked 12th in the best overall diet list. But the low/no-carb diet Atkins and the keto diet also tied for third place, despite ranking in the deep bottom of other diet categories, such as best diet, most healthy diet and best diets for heart health and diabetes.
Ironically, HMR and Optavia joined them toward the bottom of the other categories.
Why would diets that are considered good at helping drop weight quickly be ranked so badly overall?”The ‘best’ way to lose weight fast is to do something very silly, unsustainable and arguably irresponsible.
It’s not truly best — just fast,” said Katz, who is the president of the True Health Initiative, a non-profit organization dedicated to health promotion and disease prevention “Many things that are truly bad for health can cause short-term weight loss,” Katz said.
“The most effective diets for ‘fast’ weight loss impose severe restrictions that cannot be maintained and would not be compatible with health if they were.
“That’s because quick weight loss diets usually emphasize some drastic cut in nutrients or the elimination of an entire food group that can’t be maintained over time. When the diet stops, the weight comes back, often at higher levels than at the start of the diet. It’s the body’s response to “yo-yo” dieting, studies show.
“Spending your life weight-obsessed, and going on and off diets, is no way to live,” Katz said. “One of the things we hope to convey to the American public is that it’s time to grow up about diet and give it more respect.”Grown-ups don’t generally expect to ‘get rich fast;’ they understand the need to work, over time,” Katz continued.
“But everyone thinks there is some magic formula they haven’t tried yet for rapid weight loss. The consensus of the U.S. News judges is a resounding rebuke of that silly idea.” (CNN)
President Donald Trump ordered an airstrike at Baghdad International Airport that killed Qasem Soleimani, a key Iranian military commander, in a “decisive defensive action to protect US personnel abroad” that was intended to deter “future Iranian attack plans,” the Pentagon confirmed Thursday.
Soleimani — the head of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force unit — and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis — the deputy head of the Iran-backed Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) — were among those killed in the attack early Friday morning local time, according to a statement from the PMF, which said the pair “were martyred by an American strike.
“Formed in 2014 to fight ISIS, the PMF is a Shia paramilitary force made up of former militias with close ties to Iran. It was recognized under a 2016 Iraqi law as an independent military force that answers directly to the prime minister.
Soleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members, and the wounding of thousands more, the Pentagon added. The Pentagon also blamed the Iranian general for orchestrating attacks on coalition bases in Iraq in recent months, including an attack on December 27 that culminated in the deaths of an American contractor and Iraqi personnel.
Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy head of the Iran-backed Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), left, and Qasem Soleimani, the commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force unit, right, were killed in the US strike.
Soleimani was revered in Iran, where three days of national mourning have been declared. In a message published to his official website, the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei vowed revenge for the killing, saying that “harsh revenge awaits the criminals” involved.
Khamenei warned the fight would continue — and added it had been Soleimani’s wish for years to become a martyr. “His pure blood was shed in the hands of the most depraved of human beings,” Khamenei said.
In a tweet, Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif described the US strike as an “act of international terrorism,” adding that it was an “extremely dangerous and foolish escalation. “The US bears responsibility for all consequences of its rogue adventurism,” he added.(CNN)